Hi, my name is Nathan and I melodiously welcome you to my site. By melodiously, I mean to make your life harmoniously enjoyable by revealing some of the best headphones that you might not like to ignore, while buying one for yourself! Getting to this page of my site and reading it simply indicates that you are hunting for headphone reviews, although it might be for the first time.
Regardless of whether you are buying a headphone for the first time or not, it is my ardent desire that you get the best pick for the money you spend. The reason why I think I can do so is that I have given my eight years of professional life to a headphone-manufacturing company.
Even I like to listen to music using headphones (it is my favorite hobby), as earphones are not comfortable to my ears. Just recently, I brought a new model but that happened only after investing three weeks of time in researching and comparing different but latest models.
This experience was the result of the gap existing between what I wanted and what the market offered due to lack of knowledge on latest models. Moreover, not all headphones are identical. Getting the most comfortable headphone involves analyzing several factors such as ease of use on ears, performance, sound quality, durability, budget, and capabilities.
Keeping these facts in mind, I have published this site to offer fair reviews of top headphones so that my visitors do not waste both time and money in buying the best musical piece as per one’s needs. This review and other informational content has been written only after a profound analysis of different models and for offering only valuable information, not for promotion of any brand or model.
Brief Overview of Headphones
For all music aficionados, a headphone has become a necessity of life. However, that is not the limit when it comes to measuring the extent of clientele demanding headphones. This is because listening to music has also been recognized as a natural therapy for healing a depressed, anxious, or stressed mind! So, how do you choose your perfect model? Well, this depends on the place where you often listen to music!
For listening at home or office, almost any good quality piece will do, as they do not disturb your sleeping spouse or adjacent colleagues. However, if you tend to travel often in a plane or spend most of the day’s time in crowded places, then you need a headphone that alleviates ambient noise. A few models have the capability to block outside noise. In short, the type of headphones you need truly depends on your lifestyle and a bit on the set budget.
My Top 5 Picks
Listed below are the top 5 headphones having superb features and are ranked so after careful analysis from reliable sources, click on one of the links below to view the product at Amazon or read our more detailed reviews down the page:
- Audio-Technica ATH-AN7CB
- Sony MDR-NC200D Headphone
- Soul SL300MS Headphones
- Sennheiser HD700 PRO
- Sennheiser HD800 Headphone
All these five headphones are reviewed below, which can aid you in analyzing the features and benefits as per your needs, expectations, and budget.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio
One cannot go wrong with this headphone if looking for a set of professional studio headphones with an accurate response and lasting listening comfort. This pair possesses an efficient collapsible built for saving space while stored or using in outdoors. The circumaural earpieces spin well for smooth one-ear monitoring, while the padded cushions ensure proper seal for optimal noise isolation.
The adjustable headband is liberally padded for rendering extreme comfort during longer sessions of mixing. The high quality components and sophisticated driver technology deliver the ultimate power and special SPL capabilities while rendering clarity throughout the range. Further, the big-aperture drivers along with the magnet system ensure extra-efficient transfer of signals.
• Sensitivity: 99 dB
• Impedance: 38 ohms
• Magnet: Neodymium
• Frequency Response: 15 – 28,000 Hz
• Maximum Input Power: 1,600 mW at 1 kHz
• Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
• Connector: Gold-plated stereo 3.5 mm with strain relief and professional screw-on 6.3 mm adapter
• Cable: 1.2 – 3.0 m coiled, Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) wire
• Included: Protective pouch
• Superior sound and space-saving design for listening and storage
• Great engineering with adjustable height and metallic/plastic combinations
• Better sound isolation for use on planes
• Improved bass and treble
• Good balance of low and high frequencies
• Comfortable on ears
• Effective muffling to keep distractions at bay, making podcast and audio book listening effective
• No cable tearing
• Affordable and durable
• Little heavy to carry
• Initial discomfort but goes away after frequent use
Get this set of headphones if you wish to listen to all genres with high quality and clear sound but without bass heaviness. It is ideal for all DJs!
Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm
This pair is designed for live/broadcast applications as well as professional studio chores related to sound monitoring. It features a rugged construction, foldable design, highly effective closed-ear design for reduction in outside noises and comfortable heating, and a broad driver unit for clear sound reproduction.
Even if you were to use the pair until half a day incessantly, it is not going to fatigue or sore your ears. The large-diaphragm design and soft leather-coated ear pads render the circumural design quite effective. This also means well sound sealing, muffling sounds that come in from outside or music getting out. As a result, the Sony pair is ideal for use in public places.
• Impedance: 63 Ohms
• Sensitivity (db): 106dB/mW
• Magnet: Neodymium
• Frequency Response: 10Hz – 20 kHz
• Power Capacity: 1000mW
• Plug Type: Gold, Stereo Unimatch plug 1/4″ and 1/8″
• Cord: 9.8 feet, OFC
• Included: Soft case, adapter of 1/4 inches
• Easy to carry, as it is lightweight, foldable, sturdy, and collapsible
• Low impedance for great usage with portable audio
• Excellent reproduction from bass into the high end with superb clarity
• Balanced audio response with no loud highs, overpowering bass, or enveloping mids
• Great sound isolation; cuts ambient noise of even higher magnitude
• Superb bass
• Comfortable headband
• Louder than most headphones, making ideal for recording in the field and monitoring above the ambient or live sound around
• Comfortable due to quick adjustment to different head sizes without fuss
• No damage to coil due to its thickness
• Surprisingly affordable
• Ear pads prone to wear and tear after prolonged use
• Non-removable, heavy-duty coiled cable that is inconvenient for usage outside home
Consider this stereo set for monitoring sound in studios, video, radio, and virtually anywhere where high quality sound is indispensable for any genre, including at home or at a DJ event.
SOL Republic Red
This one features an open design that means no capability to block out external noise due to which it is perfect for noiseless or less crowded places. With a snugly design with a pressure control button, this small pair is both sturdy and comfortable on your head. The pads on the temple ensure parallel drivers to ears as well as earpieces loop around the ear’s upper edge for extra comfort.
Despite small size, the sound is superb and the bass extension is better than the phones of equivalent size. The collapsible capability makes it easy for you to carry while not wearing them. The overall sound is non-fatiguing even if you listen for hours!
• Impedance: 60 ohms
• Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL
• Frequency Response: 15-25,000 Hz
• Connector Type: Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
• Voice Coil: OFC
• Cord: 4 feet, straight, dual entry
• Included: Convenient carrying case
• Extremely lightweight
• Maximum portability
• Superb frequency response
• Smoothest, wider-range
• Deep bass performance
• More alive experience with no distortions
• Ultimate comfort level with adjustable comfort settings, headband, and multipivoting ear plates
• Lifetime warranty
• Little discomfort with the metallic band atop snagging your hair although occasionally
• Possibility of sound leaking
• Spring open when touched while stored in a traveling bag
Get this one if you are interested in small, open style headphones for usage in quiet surroundings. Even Sennheiser PX100 with similar performance can be your pick but it offers less prominent bass output.
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphone
If you are purely looking for home-use headphones, this one can be your choice. It is one of the most significant closed units from the brand to have modular design, high sound quality, and assertive noise isolation. The swiveling cups and collapsible design render optimal flexibility while rendering accurate reproduction with high ambient noise attenuation. The optimal impedance guarantees maximum compatibility with, right from studio monitoring to home listening.
• Frequency response: 8 – 25,000 Hz
• Nominal Impedance: 64 Ohms
• Attenuation: 23 db
• Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 102 dB (IEC 268-7)
• Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.1%
• Ear Coupling: Around the ear
• Cord Length – 3.3 – 9.8 feet, coiled
• Jack Plug: 3.5 / 6.3 mm stereo
• Contact pressure: 6N
• Load rating: 500 mW
• Included: 1/4-inch stereo plug adapter
• Ireland construction, which is solid and compact to save space
• Excellent sound with clean signals
• Accurate channel separation
• No hissing
• Optimal live experience
• Comfortable on ears for long
• Replaceable parts
• Easy on portable players, home stereos, and smartphones
• Great noise reduction (well-attenuated background noises)
• Big size, making it uncomfortable on treadmills
• A little tight feeling in the beginning
• Narrow sound stage
• Foldable but no fitting inside the pocket
• Not 100% silence, as a bit of outside noise is heard
• Possible cracks in plastic headband in case of big head
This pair is valuable for those with sensitive hearing, musicians, or fans who love enjoying music without being on the go and without having a big head. However, a studio technician would prefer much higher quality pieces.
Sony MDRZX300/RED Outdoor Headphone
If you are looking for a good pair of supra-aural headphones under $50, this one can be your ideal option. The problem with circum-aural ones is that they are too big, while the normal supra-aural ones are not friendly on ears. However, this supra-aural piece from Sony does not disappoint even if you listen for hours on iPad.
The sturdy design gives a durable piece, while both sound and balance between treble and bass are admirable. You do not have to volume up for hearing the bass. Further, although this pair is not a noise-cancelling unit, it definitely blocks the outside noise without the need of a battery.
• Frequency Response: 10 – 24,000 Hz
• Impedance: 24 Ohms
• Magnet: Neodymium
• Cable: 1.2m
• Plug Type: Gold plated
• Good slim looks
• Sturdy feel for durable use
• Lightweight for traveling
• Fit on any head size, small ear lobes, and storage space
• High quality sound with efficient power usage
• Good sound range
• Great fidelity (live experience) when burned out
• Mark to indicate the right side for right ear
• Crisper highs
• Deep bass and clear mids
• Comfortable on ears
• Highly affordable
• No cord tangling
• Some sound leakage at moderate volume
• Bass heavy
• High treble before burning out
• Not ideal for ears larger than normal
This pair is more affordable than the SOL republic if you are looking for portable headphones that look, feel, and sound great while listening to videos and podcast.